Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Tuesday in Texas - Give Me An "I," Give Me An "E," But Don't Give Me Both!

As I sit down to write this, it is a perfect sunny seventy-two degrees here in Dallas.  


These are both unedited phone photos taken at approximately the same time.

Tracey, on the other hand, is working against the odds to clear the snow from her car so that she can make her way  to the bus stop to pick up Harry.  In her world, it is a not so perfect twenty-one degrees and snowing!  


Needless to say, of the many commonalities that Tracey and I share, weather is not one of them.  LOL!  Frequent misspellings of our names, however, is.

I find it funny that, for most of us, our names are something over which we had no say yet we take great pride and ownership in them, even becoming quite protective of them…meaning that we want them pronounced and spelled correctly!!!  My “real” name is Kristin, though during my life the only people that have ever called me this are my maternal grandmother, my godmother, and, on the first day of school only, every teacher that I had.  Even my parents never called me Kristin.  So, why didn’t they just name me Kris?  Short, sweet, and to the point…and it would have saved me lots of trouble with random and unwanted i’s and e’s!

And we won’t even talk here about how many times in my fifty-four years that I have said, “It’s Kris with a K, not a C.”  That is occasionally met with, “Oh, so it’s Kh?” "No!  It is NOT KH!"  This is the icing in the i’s and e’s cake!

Here are all the ways that extraneous i’s and e’s have been added to my name, making it no longer my name:

Kristen
Kristine
Kersten
Kerstin
Kiersten

(Apparently my computer is smarter than many people; it tried to auto-correct all of those misspellings for me! :-))

Many of these permutations have appeared on meaningless junk mail, but just as many instances have been by people who should have gotten it correct, but just don’t care enough or aren’t willing to take the time to get it right.

Two i’s, no e’s; that’s all I ask for!  I will gladly give Tracey all of the unnecessary e’s that people ahve tried to give me, as they are often left out of her name!

It’s Tracey.  Not Tracy.  Really.  I will give her all of the e’s that she wants!  She needs them.  I don't.  And, she promised to give me any unnecessary i’s that come her way when her name is spelled Tracie.

Neither one of us needs both an i and an e.  No Tracie and no Kristine!  We are both pretty happy with one vowel each.  Well, Tracey is kind of pushing the limits here with that y, which in her case, really is a vowel. LOL!

While you are minding your p’s and q’s, also consider your e's and i’s.  They really do matter!

Since we both have a quiet sense about us, we consider it a compliment when we are told that we complement one another quite well.  :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment