Saturday, March 12, 2016

Food Friday - On the Side!

from Tracey G


When I was a kid, the only coleslaw I would eat was Kentucky Fried Chicken's - to me, that stuff was the epitome of coleslaw and what it should be. I never realized back then either how easy it was to make - it wasn't a salad my mom made at  home. When we had it, I only wanted KFC's!

I would have to say it wasn't until my 30's that I actually made the stuff. And my first time with it was kind of a disaster - I know, I know, how can one screw up coleslaw?!? Well, I had a recipe to follow, but the dressing just didn't seem like enough - so I made more. Much more. I didn't take into account the sitting time that most coleslaw recipes direct - I didn't realize the amount of liquid that would come from the cabbage and carrots and actually add to the dressing! So, by the time I took it to the potluck party it was pretty soupy. I think it was after that I learned my lessons - 1) mix up just what the recipe calls for dressing-wise and 2) never make something you've never made before to take to a party - but if you do, always have a plan B!!  

I remember the first time I made this (I even followed the directions too!), I announced that if I ever needed a potluck recipe to take somewhere, this would be it. It's so very simple, and if you use pre-made cabbage/veggie slaw mix (any kind would be good with the dressing, even a broccoli slaw etc) it comes together super fast! I think super fast is even an understatement! And aside from the dressing of the slaw mix - the dressing mixture, I think would be great as a regular salad dressing on lettuce of any kind! I don't remember where I got the recipe from, and I've tweaked the amounts because the original recipe made much too small of an amount for our household and I'm pleased with how it's evolved.

Raspberry Slaw

4 c shredded green cabbage
4 c shredded red cabbage
1-2 c shredded carrots (personal preference can be used here)

Dressing:
1/2 c raspberry vinaigrette
1/2 c mayonnaise

1/2 - 1 c fresh raspberries for garnish

1) In a large bowl combine green cabbage, red cabbage and carrots.

2) In a small bowl, whisk the raspberry vinaigrette and mayonnaise until well blended. 
    Pour dressing over cabbage/carrot mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate at
    least an hour for flavors to blend. (I find it's much better if it's sat overnight!)

3) Before serving, top with fresh raspberries. When at home, I usually just top the
    individual servings with a few of the raspberries.



From Kris B





Most of the time I love to cook.  What I don't always like is trying to figure out what to cook.  If someone will tell me what they want, I will gladly fix it.  When I am left to determine the menu myself, it is most often the side dishes with which I struggle.  Once you get beyond some form of potatoes or rice and steamed or roasted vegetables, my creativity starts to fall by the wayside.  So, I am always on the lookout for side dishes that push me beyond my boring starchy box!

This week's slaw recipe is one of my favorite quick and easy sides.  I believe it may originally have come from Weight Watchers, but I'm not absolutely sure of that.  Regardless, it is fairly low calorie and surprises the taste buds just a bit.

INGREDIENTS

1 12 oz. bag of prepared broccoli slaw mix
1 medium to large apple (variety of your choice)
3 scallions
1/4 cup sliced roasted almonds
3 TBS prepared balsamic vinaigrette dressing of your choice

Chop the apple into small bite sized pieces.  Slice the whites of the scallions.  Combine all ingredients in a good sized bowl so that you have room to "toss."  This best if chilled at least an hour, but this is not absolutely necessary.

A side dish doesn't get much simpler than this!










No comments:

Post a Comment