Saturday, September 12, 2015

Food Friday - Black and White

from Kris B.



This is one of those recipes that brings back all kinds of memories for me.  It is one that my mom made all the time.  In fact, I still use the recipe card, written in her hand, that she gave me when I was in college thirty-five many year ago.



I didn't do much "real" cooking during my college days, but because Fudge Pie is so easy, I could make it as a weekend treat for my friends.  In fact, this is also known as "Pudge Pie" thanks to one of my roommates who, on one such occasion, made a slip of the tongue, one that this pie has never lived down!

Whether you know it as Fudge Pie or Pudge Pie, it is an incredibly rich slice of chocolate!  It only takes a small slice to satisfy the cravings of even the most ferocious chocoholic!




INGREDIENTS

1/4 pound butter
1 3/4 squares unsweetened chocolate
2 eggs
1 Cup sugar
1/4 Cup flour
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Melt the butter and chocolate in a double boiler.




Beat together the eggs, sugar and flour.  Add the vanilla. I usually mix this in a four cup measuring cup because it makes it so easy to then pour into the pie plate.




 Add the chocolate mixture to the egg mixture.  Stir well.

Pour into a greased 8 inch pie pan.  Bake for 25 minutes.

I apparently got distracted here at the end because I failed to photograph the last couple steps.  I suspect this goes back to my inability to multi-task.  While I was baking and photographing, I was also trying to get laundry done because we are going out of town this weekend, coordinate with a friend who I am meeting in the airport once we arrive in Philadelphia, and run down my packing list to make sure I haven't forgotten anything.  As long as I haven't packed any vanilla in more than a 3 oz. container or added sunscreen to the pie all should be well!


Thanks for taking the time to stop by a spend a few minutes with us!


By Tracey G


I was at a total loss this week. We discussed chocolate, and pie and the combination of the two, and all I was coming up blank. I told Kris no worries, I would come up with something to compliment what she had in mind. It was a busy week for the both of us, with her getting to escape for some fun out of town, and me dealing with Harry with an ear infection and the start of school this week ;-) And I am still far behind. *sigh* But, I did some flopping around at some recipe sites and found this one,  courtesy of Taste of Home, lol. One thing I do like when I am at a loss for a recipe out of my recipe library, is it pushes me to find and try something new - so I guess, my wins and my epic fails will be shared with everyone, lol. But that's ok, it's how it is in real life, some recipes you make for yourself or the fam are huge winners and some, are awful losers, lol. And you're generally stuck with them at the time good or bad, lol. I liked this one because it played off of Kris's Fudge Pie in the "opposite" sort of way. ;-)

Fortunately this one turned out pretty darn good. It was iffy there though at first, because my pudding-sweetened condensed milk-cold water mixture just didn't come together as I expected. And it never did really smooth out as I'd thought it would. Where the fault lies for that, I'm not sure. It was a different brand of pudding then I am used to using, normally it's the Jell-O brand, or it just could be a natural occurrence of using water and sweetened condensed milk in place of the normal cold milk that's used. I was kind of in a panic that this wasn't going to be good...or pretty or pretty good, lol. But in the end, even though it still has a slightly grainy look, it doesn't "taste" of feel grainy when it was eaten. ;-)

Unfortunately I have no process shots this week, lol. There really wasn't a lot to document and it was 9 p.m. at night when I was finally getting things done. It's been a heck of a week and my Friday was a blur of things going on, so by the time all was said and done, it was night when I was finally getting to work on it!


So, here's all the ingredients except for the water. It involves the ready-made graham tart shells, whipped topping, sweetened condensed milk and white chocolate instant pudding mix.

It's super easy to pull this together, which was a good thing considering I think I was half asleep when I was attempting this, lol. In a large bowl, you whisk the sweetened condensed milk, cold water and pudding mix for 2 minutes. You then let it stand a couple more minutes. Now you refrigerate it for 10 minutes.

At the end of the 10 minutes, you fold in the whipped topping, then, spoon the filling into the tart shells. Then you refrigerate until serving. Garnish as you'd like. I took my cue from the tart shell package with the raspberries and mint leaves. :-) I was just happy I still had some mint kicking around the flower garden, to complete the garnish!


White Chocolate Tarts 

courtesy of Taste of Home

1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 c cold water
1 3.4 oz package instant white chocolate pudding mix
2 c whipped topping
2 packages (6 count each, total of 12) individual graham cracker tart shells

In a large bowl , whisk the sweetened condensed milk, water and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let set for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Cover and refrigerate for 10 minutes.

Fold in whipped topping. Spoon approximately 1/3 cup into each tart shell. Refrigerate until serving. Makes 12 servings.




















No comments:

Post a Comment