Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Tuesday in Texas - $5 Funk Buster...I Hope

It finally feels like summer around here...not necessarily temperature-wise as it is not yet super hot, but spirit-wise.  We are finally easing into those lazy days of summer.  Multiple cups of coffee in the morning before getting dressed, working the Sudoku puzzle in the paper, and just enjoying the start of the new day without rushing around are all true gifts.  We are also catching up on chores like cleaning out closets and the garage.  I can't say that doing these things is fun, but it sure feels good once they are accomplished!

This afternoon my husband and I went down the street and enjoyed "cheap Mexican food" as I call it, for lunch.  Street tacos are the best!  We sat out on the covered patio and enjoyed our meal together without being worried about schedules; we had a clear calendar this afternoon so there was time to savor every bite of those tacos.  Our biggest concern was thinking about what we want to do when we go on our actual vacation in a few weeks.

We have all of the important stuff under control - plane tickets, a place to stay, a rental car, but we have not done a day by day itinerary for once we get there.  I think that defeats the purpose of a vacation!  I am ready for a little less calendar and a little more serendipity.  We looked at a few things that we might like to do, but ultimately decided to wait until we get there to make any absolute commitments.  The only thing that I know for sure that I want to do is take pictures someplace different!

I have been in a serious creative slump and photo funk lately.  There is not much that seems interesting to me to photograph.  I know that the problem is my perception of things, but I can't seem to shake it.  I am counting on a change of scenery to get me out of the slump.  Just in case that is not enough, I decided that maybe I "need" a new lens to take with me on vacation.  But which one do I need?  I poked around on the Internet for awhile, read some reviews and articles and came to the conclusion that I really don't know what I need, which probably means that I need nothing.  Yeah, there are a couple of lenses that I would like to have, but in all honesty, I have a fairly well equipped camera bag.  And we all know that a new lens is not going to get me out of my photo funk.  So I talked myself out of continuing to look for a new lens and saved $1000 in the process.  Well, that's not exactly true...

I saved $995 because this evening I downloaded $5 worth of HipstaPaks on my phone.  I have a love-hate relationship with my phone camera.  I don't mind using it, but lately my photos have been disappointing; they seem much fuzzier than I think they should be.  This has not helped my general feeling about my photography.  In an effort to figure out what is going on, I read about a few things that may help me with my phone photography and I decided that $5 on HipstaPaks was a much more reasonable solution to "needing" something new than was buying an expensive lens that I know that I don't need at all.  Perhaps I just need to commit to a week or two of only phone photos for something new.

We'll see how things go.  Hopefully something will give here soon and the world through my lens will look a little more interesting to me.  Until then, I'll live vicariously through the beautiful photos of all my friends!

Happy snapping!


No comments:

Post a Comment