Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Tuesday In Texas

Happy Feet

by Kris B.


In an email that Tracey sent this morning she said that she was disappointed because she had been shopping yesterday and found some really cool hot pink Converse, but they didn't have them in her size so she was hoping to find them today at a different store location.  I am experiencing similar frustration as I ordered some shoes online last week and they haven’t even shipped yet.  In this world where everything seems to cater to immediate gratification, how can that be?  The second order that I placed at the same time from a different vendor arrived yesterday so I am smiling nonetheless.

I think it is funny that we are both experiencing retail therapy through buying shoes.  I am not one of those women that has a pair of shoes for every outfit.  (If I did, I’d own a pair of Converse in every color!) I don’t even buy shoes that often, but right now while I am trying to lose weight, shoes seem like a better investment than clothes.  No matter how much weight I lose, or gain for that matter, my shoes will still fit.  And with spring finally here, it seems the perfect time to put some new life in my shoe collection.


I’m not sure that I would use the word “style” to describe my choice in shoes.  Practical and comfortable might be more appropriate.  (Converse, Birkenstocks, Crocs, just to give you an idea…)  As a teacher, I am on my feet all day and I often walk between home and school so function trumps fashion in my book any day.  I do, however, have a few pairs of “sitting down” shoes.  They’ll probably last me a lifetime because I only wear them once or twice a year when I absolutely have to.  These are the shoes that look great, but that I can’t walk or stand in for more than about two minutes.  And the older I get, the less willing I am to even give them two minutes!


As a kid, I remember that getting new shoes was a BIG deal.  It happened twice a year - at the beginning of the school year and then sometime in the spring.  I only had two pairs of shoes at a time - school shoes and “play” shoes and the two never crossed into the other’s realm.  Oh, and when we lived in colder areas, I did have a pair of snow boots.  That was it.  My parents didn't attend church so I didn't even have ‘Sunday shoes.”  My minimalistic shoe collection growing up had nothing to do with money; it had to do with priorities.  My mom just plain didn't think that I needed more than two pairs of shoes at a time.  The end.  She did, however, think that I needed piano lessons and for that I am forever grateful.  I wonder what I’d be today if she had bought me more shoes and no music lessons.  Hmmm…  The only way to get a new pair of shoes “off schedule” was if my toes were coming through the ends.  If you really wanted new tennis shoes, the growth of those holes at the toes could be accelerated by dragging your feet when trying to slow a swing.  I don’t know that from personal experience of course; I just saw other kids do it.

I’m not sure if it was my childhood shoe experiences that have fueled my current “collection” of shoes or if it is just an acquired taste, but new shoes just make me feel good.  It’s like making a fresh start.  A clean slate…at least until you encounter that first mud puddle, scuff, gum, or dreaded dog pile!  Then, well,  it’s time for another new pair.  Just kidding…maybe.

In all seriousness, I know that I have more pairs of shoes than I need.  And that I really didn't need to order three new pairs in the past week.  Admittedly, these purchases were to satisfy an emotional rather than a physical need.  I ordered them just to make myself happy, pure and simple.


 It was a totally selfish act for which I am not even going to apologize.  If, however, anyone out there wears and size 9 and prefers function over fashion, I am willing to share!

As a parent, I did not follow my mother’s philosophy regarding children and their shoes.  My girls had many pairs and I enjoyed buying them.  (For the record, they also had violin lessons. LOL.)   And, their love of shoes has followed them into adulthood.  Unlike me, however, my girls definitely put fashion (?) over comfort and function!




What simple indulgence makes you happy?


2 comments:

  1. I totally want a pair of converse, especially pink!!! But man they are not cheap! I remember having a pair in high school, required to have them to play on the girls basketball team. They cost $5. And that was a stretch for my parents with 4 kids at home. And now they are upwards of $40-50. I guess I can keep saving my pennies. Love the shoe photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I was downstate visiting, I got my hair cut - and the adorable gal that cuts my hair told me that you can order personalized/customized Converse. She knew of a bride and groom who ordered them for their entire wedding party - nicely enough they put their attendants initials on them instead of something wedding related , lol. I keep forgetting to check into them! :D

      Delete