Monday, March 30, 2015

Monday in Michigan

by Tracey G

Well this Monday finds me out of town for a few days. It's Harry's spring break, so we decided to come down and visit Grandma and Grandpa. Harry's been asking and asking for months, but it's been really hard to orchestrate the kind of visit he wanted - more than just an overnight, lol. And with school and everything, that was a tall order, but with break it worked out perfect, so he and I are at Grandma's and Grandpa's for a few days. :-)


It's always a good time, Harry loves it and it's a nice break from the everyday routines. We get to go shopping, and that's something right there - it's nice to have somewhere else to go besides Kmart and Walmart! We always make sure to hit the favorites: Toys R Us Kohl's, Macy's, Target, Michael's and Home Goods! ;-) And not only do we get to go to our favorite stores, we get to go to our favorite little food places and the candy store. The candy store itself is awesome because you get some of the stuff you can't get easily anymore, so that's a neat place to stop. And Harry discovered his love for the little drink-filled wax bottles, which is just too funny since I too loved them as a kid! And of course I got my own treats too - cotton candy was the first thing in the basket, along with some Pixie Stix ;-) I also bought myself some of the bulk candy, which is always a fun thing filling your bag, but it was bittersweet since I bought myself some of my mom's favorite candy - the fruit slices that are the gummy-like things. This was the only place I could get them for her, so, every time I was down here I'd get her some.



While on this trip, I've discovered Harry's love of clocks hasn't diminished either. It's an odd thing, but he's always loved clocks. He found a wooden clock down in Grandma's and Grandpa's basement that he's now claimed as his, lol. He absolutely loves it, has been fiddling with it since we got here yesterday. Only thing is, it's doesn't work. But as they say, even a broken clock is right twice a day. :-D I blame Grandma for the clock obsession, when he was still a baby, she started taking him to the various clocks in the house when they would chime the hour - and he was mesmerized. And his love of the tick-tock was born.



He also loves coming to grandma and grandpa's place because it's not home - the majority of the rules do not apply here, lol. I tend to let him do his thing because I think that coming to grandma and grandpa's should be different - fun and more lenient than the usual. I never knew my grandparents, all but my maternal grandma had passed away by the time I was born. I only "knew" her until I was about 6 months old, as, that's when she passed away. So, when it comes to Harry enjoying grandparents, I'm all for him having the fun and experiences I never got to have. Let grandma and grandpa spoil him if they want, late bedtime, chocolate for breakfast, extra stories at bedtime, special chocolate milk (a brand that's Harry's favorite that we can't get at home, lol.) and whatever else to make some great memories for him - ones I would love to have myself.

There is a few downsides to this for me the parent, lol, re-entry to usual routine usually means an unruly child for a few days (well, more than the usual unruliness, lol). I can always tell when we've been to visit, lol. "I can do that at Grandma's!" Yeah, well, you're home now Little Mister! LOL I had a lady laughing one day in Walmart while Harry and I were doing some shopping. He started on his behavior that maybe Grandma will put up with, but I will not and I matter-of-factly told him that he was not with Grandma so straighten up. ;-) And there's also the just-because-Grandma-lets-you-play-with-her-ipad-whenever-your-heart-desires-and-walk-around-with-it, doesn't mean I will too!



 He's not made it yet to the point of coming down to spend some time by himself, but I am confident that's going to come soon. And likely too soon, as everything about his growing up seems to happen "too soon". It's all so fast...


Well forgive me for writing and running, but they are calling me for dinner - and since it's my favorite little diner down here tonight, I do not want to be late! ;-)

3 comments:

  1. What a sweet time you must have had. My husband and I love clocks. There is something mesmerizing about them! It probably won't be long and Harry may have that clock running with the correct time of day 24/7!! My girls always like it when we visit and go shopping because "mom always buys" ( :

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, we did have a fun time - so much that Harry cried most of the way home, lol. And grandma and grandpa were coming up north anyway that day so we rode with them, and he still cried! LOL And you're right, lol, it's a nice perk when it's mom buying - we get treated pretty darn good when we visit! I really like it when he gets to spend quality time with them, since my mom passed away, they're all he has in that department, so it's really important to me that he have that time! And I'll be sure to pass that compliment along to my Mom-in-Law, she'll love you to bits! :D

      Delete
  2. One more thing. Grandma is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete