Sunday, September 25, 2016

Food Friday - King Arthur Bakealong Challenge!

from Tracey G


This week we're having a little fun... I discovered the King Arthur Flour Bakealong Challenge (click the link to go their page on it along with the links to this month's recipe!) on my Instagram feed. As soon as I saw it, I immediately sent a text to Kris saying that this would be a fun thing for her and I to do, just because. At the time I wasn't thinking of the blog. Then, one day last week, it hit me that it would be fun to incorporate it this week into our Food Friday post, if she was game! Since we were a month behind, we each took a recipe to make this time around. I couldn't locate the proper sun-dried tomatoes needed, so I asked Kris if she'd mind making the Bakealong Challenge Recipe #1, the Pane Bianco and I'd make the #2 recipe, Inside-Out Pumpkin Muffins. It was a deal!

Well, it was fun! I enjoyed trying something new - and let me say that as soon as I find the proper sun-dried tomatoes I am making the Pane Bianco because it looks yummy and fairly easy! I am finding that I am now looking forward to the next month's recipe challenge. We also have been bantering back and forth on how to incorporate the King Arthur Bakealong Challenge recipes every month on the blog. I know we'll come up with something fun to do with it because was a fun experience and will be a fun one to share too! If you make it, let us know! Or tag it on Instagram with the King Arthur Bakealong tag, #bakealong and mention us so we can see your creations!  Our Instagram id's are @allinadaykris and @traceann24. You'll see us there, so join in on the fun!! And the treats!

Now, on to the recipe. It was super simple to make and let me tell you it's one of the yummiest muffins ever and has spawned some ideas in my brain of using the technique on other muffins - think carrot cake with the frosting on the inside! And I really enjoyed making it, although for some reason I was totally unorganized feeling! I have no idea why, but it just felt like I did everything out of order - but even then, they came together beautifully and perfectly! I think it's one of the times I actually was pleased with how they looked after they were baked off - I thought they looked lovely! And I did use the cookie scoop as they suggest and wow, did it make it easy to make the whole thing, every stage, the scoop was great!

Here's the link to the recipe walk-through, on the Kind Arthur blog:

And here's just the recipe:

I have a feeling this is going to be a lot of fun!!! Enjoy!


from Kris B.


I’m almost up for a challenge, especially when it involves food and or photography.  To find one that includes both is like hitting the jackpot.  As Tracey said, she found out about the King Arthur Bakealong Challenge two month’s into it.  That’s OK; it gave us each a recipe to try!  Deciding who would do which one was easy…Tracey had the ingredients on hand for the pumpkin muffins and I have two basil plants with enough leaves to make pesto for the entire state of Texas so I was happy to make the Pane Bianco. At the least, it gave me another use for some of the basil!  Sadly, we did not have homegrown tomatoes this year so I did have to buy sun-dried tomatoes.  But, there’s always next year for the homegrown….

This is one of those recipes where the final product makes it look much harder than it is.   The bread requires just a little cutting and shaping of the dough to give it an artisan look.  All you need to know is how to make the letter “S.” lol!

The recipe says that the dough will be a “soft” dough.  Mine was not.  It was a bit dry when first combined.  I kneaded with wet hands and that helped.  My first rise time was almost double what the recipe indicated.  I’m not sure if the differences I encountered were due to the flour (I did use King Arthur bread flour.), the weather here in Dallas, or user error, but in the end, all was well.  The bread is absolutely delicious!!!

Try the recipe as is or stuff it with some of your favorite ingredients.  Several of the posts on the King Arthur site suggested that black olives would be a nice addition.  I’m not an olive fan so I am perfectly happy with the recipe as is.  Whatever you use, the recipe warns not to over stuff. Cooking is all about having fun and being creative!  

Here's the link to the recipe walk-through, on the Kind Arthur blog:

And here's just the recipe:

If you make either of these recipes we’d love for you to share pictures of your projects.  No worries…you don’t have to share your muffins and bread!  As Tracey said,  on IG #bakealong and mention us, @traceann24 and @allinadaykris so we won't miss your creations!


Happy baking!







No comments:

Post a Comment