Sunday, August 14, 2016

Food Friday - Scones!

from Tracey G.



It's funny the day that Kris and I came up with scones for a Food Friday, if I recall correctly, she was still in the U.K. and we'd started talking about the scones she was enjoying. And then just like that, our texts crossed and pretty much said the same thing - "we should do scones for a Friday!", lol. And so, here are our scones!

My boys went to the local pick-your-own blueberry farm this week and I have plenty of fresh blueberries to work with, so I chose blueberry scones. This is a recipe by King Arthur that can be found here: Fresh Blueberry Scones 

It was easy and super yummy. Harry, who's never had a scone in his 7.5 years, loudly declared "I love scones!!" when he had one during our taste test! Yay! I love it when a recipe is a success! And if he likes it, along with myself enjoying it - I consider that a huge success.

Now, it does call for fresh blueberries specifically, and I am sure that has a lot to do with the way the dough is worked with, otherwise I think you'd end up with purple dough before you even got them in the oven, lol. It's not a huge amount required, just a cup, so I think even for me, in non-blueberry season it wouldn't be too hard or costly to make with the fresh blueberries in the grocery store. The only thing I wished I would've done differently in the execution of this recipe, and it's just for my preference, is that I wished I would've patted the dough into a circle instead of a rectangle as they call for - I had a heck of time getting evenly sized triangular scones, lol.

They state that they're yummy hot, cut in half and slathered with butter - and I am sure they are!! So, without further ado, here's the recipe!



Fresh Blueberry Scones


2 cups unbleached, all purpose flour or pastry flour (King Arthur brand recommended of course)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
2 large eggs, beaten
1/3 cup vanilla yogurt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon lemon zest or 1/4 tsp lemon oil (extract)
1 cup blueberries, picked over and rinsed
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons sugar

1) Preheat oven to 375°F. Sift the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Add the butter and rub it into the dry ingredients with your fingers (I cut it in first with my pastry blender, then rubbed it in with my fingers).

2) Stir the eggs, yogurt, vanilla extract and lemon zest (or oil) together. Add to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Stir in the blueberries. This dough is the consistency of a wet drop-cookie dough.

3) Liberally flour your counter and your hands. Take the dough out of the bowl and place it on the counter. Pat it into a 1-inch thick rectangle. Cut into 10 triangular scones. Place on a well-greased cookie sheet (I skipped the greasing and just used parchment paper on the cookie sheet).

4) Brush the scones with melted butter, and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 20 minutes, or until lightly browned and a cake tester inserted into a scone comes out dry. Cool completely on a rack. 


from  Kris B.





When in England, do as the English do.  I cannot tell a lie...while I was in the U.K. last month, I had my share of scones and tea.  It didn't help that the cathedral cafe at Bristol Cathedral where we were the choir in residence had pretty good scones.  Rehearse, eat a scone and drink tea, sing Evensong became my afternoon routine for the week we were there.  





I also managed to find many other places with good scones while we were traveling about as well.  I knew I would miss this luxury when I returned home.  I think it was a text message to Tracey while I was still away in which I was whining about how much I was going to miss scones that prompted this week's recipes.

I have always liked scones; I just don't think about them much here at home.  Except around my birthday.  My daughter always makes "take and bake" chocolate chip scones for me as a birthday gift.    Since my birthday is in December, the last batch is long gone!  I was eating plain scones in England.  Well plain with clotted cream and jam.  The chocolate chip ones that Brooke makes for me require no "garnishing."  They are good without any extras.  It is the recipe that Brooke uses that I am sharing this week.

I am glad to have a mid-year batch of scones as this last week has turned out to be a bummer of a week.  I had several pre-skin cancer spots frozen off of my arm.  It was really no big deal and they don't hurt.  They're just ugly blisters that now need to heal.  And then after being good and working our every day on the treadmill (to get rid of the remnants of all the scones) and ended up with shin splints and stress fracture in my left leg.  So, no walking/running for 4-6 weeks.  Needless to say, I'm seriously bummed about that.  I did negotiate with the doctor for limited time on the stationary bike.  But, that is just not the same.   So, I am drowning my sorrows in chocolate chip scones!  I know its not the most mature response to my situation, but its the one I've had.


This is the recipe that my daughter uses to make my favorite scones.  It is My Best Flaky Buttermilk Scones from the cookbook, A Passion for Baking by Marcy Goldman.


INGREDIENTS

4 Cups all-purpose flour
1/2 Cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp soda
1 1/2 Cups unsalted butter, cut into chunks and frozen
1 large egg
1 1/4 Cups buttermilk
* 1 Cup dark chocolate chips  

*The original recipe does not call for chocolate chips.


Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Stack two baking sheets together and line top with parchment paper.  Arrange oven rack to upper third position.


In a food processor bowl, add flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda and pulse briefly.  Add butter and pulse to make a course grainy mixture.  Turn our into a large bowl.  Make a well in the center and add the egg and most of the buttermilk.  Lightly stir with a fork to blend.  Add the remaining buttermilk, if necessary, to make a shaggy dough.  *Stir in the chocolate chips.


Turn out mixture onto a lightly floured work surface and knead 6 to 8 times until mixture is just barely rollable.  Pat or roll to a 1 inch thickness and cut into desired shape.  (The recipe calls for the scones to be cut into wedges.  Brooke usually makes mine square, because it is way.  The scones I was eating in England were round, so I made this batch round.  The shape really doesn't matter.  Lol!)    Place the scones on he prepared baking sheet.  Brush the tops with milk or melted butter and dust with sugar.  


Bake until golden, about 12-15 minutes.




No comments:

Post a Comment