Friday, February 5, 2016

Food Friday - From the Heart

from Tracey G.



I love any month that can carry a holiday theme - it's fun to create treats and meals with a theme. I also love recipes that are versatile enough to be used for any and all!

I have to admit, I have way too much fun running with a theme for treats/food etc. It feels like it's a special kind of permission to make treats you don't normally make and it makes me feel like I have a mission. Valentine's Day! I must make Valentine's Day themed cookies! Cupcakes! Anything edible that can be transformed into any holiday theme - sign me up!

This recipe was my first ever experience with spritz cookies, and once I'd made them, I was hooked. They were so easy and so versatile in that you can make any shape with your press, any flavor (vanilla, almond etc) and they were fast thanks to the cookie press. My friend Kim gave me this recipe at least 8 years ago - could be longer than that, but I know it's at least 8. And every time I make it I'm glad she did. They're called Holiday Shaped Cookies, but they aren't just for holidays!

To decorate this particular batch, AFTER baking, I melted some white chocolate chips in the microwave, dipped or brushed it on the cookies (just half for the ones in the photo), then dipped in my sprinkles and colored sugars of choice! Super easy way to jazz them up. The only problem I've discovered with these cookies is that they are way TOO easy eat!!

Holiday Shaped Cookies

1 c vegetable shortening
3/4 c sugar
2 1/4 c all purpose flour, sifted
2 eggs
1 tsp almond extract
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
Food coloring


Cream together shortening and sugar. Mix in the eggs & almond extract. Blend in dry ingredients and tint with food coloring of choice, if using. Form cookies into desired shapes using a cookie press on an ungreased cookie sheet. Decorate, if desired, with sugars, sprinkles etc. Bake 10-12 minutes at 375° F. Place immediately on a cooling rack. 

from Kris B.




During the year between March of 2014 and March of 2015  when we were making the monthly trips between Dallas and Delaware to be with my during his final illness, we had a choice of our flights connecting in Charlotte, N.C. or Philadelphia.  During these stressful times, it was the simple things that I most looked forward to…snacks in the airport.  When our itinerary took us through Charlotte, it was the gelato in Terminal B, and when we went through Philly, I looked forward to the soft pretzels in the food court in Terminal F.  I don’t miss all the travel, but I do miss the treats, especially the pretzels.  I’m sure that there is someplace in Dallas that makes equally good soft pretzels, but I haven’t found them…probably because I haven’t looked earnestly.  Lol!  I decided that it is just easier to make them myself, especially when my craving for them hits late at night when my mood and my attire are barely suitable to carry the trash to the front curb let alone go out in public to find pretzels, even when that means only going down the frozen food aisle at the grocery store!

The task of making homemade soft pretzels may seem a little daunting because of the shaping and boiling necessary, but they are so worth it!  Well, they are worth it if you are a carb craver like me. :-)  

The recipe that I use is adapted from Smitten Kitchen.

INGREDIENTS
1 TBS brown sugar
2 TBS butter
2 TBS instant or rapid rise yeast
2 cups lukewarm water
6 cups all-purpose flour
1 TBS + 1/2 tsp kosher salt

The dough is easiest to make in a stand mixer with a dough hook attachment.  In the mixer bowl, stir together the brown sugar, butter, yeast, water and half of the flour.  Once well incorporated, add the salt and the remaining flour.  Knead for 8-10 minutes, until the dough is “smooth and supple.”

Place the dough, covered, in the refrigerator for at least an hour or overnight.  (I leave mine in the mixer bowl covered with plastic wrap.) 
When you are ready to bake the pretzels, line baking sheets with parchment paper.  Divide the dough into 12 pieces.  This makes good sized pretzels.  If you’d prefer smaller ones, divide the dough into 16 pieces.  

Shape the pretzels.

To make them heart shaped, roll a rope about 20” in length.  Join the two ends by pinching together to form the bottom point of the heart.  Grab the center opposite this point and twist twice clockwise.  Adjust the shape the sides of the heart if necessary.

Once shaped, place the pretzels on the baking sheets and cover with plastic wrap or a towel.  Allow them to rest about 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Prepare a baking soda bath by bringing a quart of water to a boil then add 1/4 baking soda stirring until it dissolves.  (It will foam when first added.)  Reduce heat.  One at a time, add each pretzel to the soda bath cooking for one minute on each side.  Use a slotted spoon to return the pretzel to the baking sheet once boiled.

For a glossy finish to your pretzels, brush with whisked egg whites.  Sprinkle with coarse salt.

Bake for 12-15 minutes.

Remove to cooling rack and serve immediately.  Fresh pretzels are best.  After more the six hours, these do not seem so exciting anymore. Lol!
  • I do not use the egg wash on my pretzels.  I either just make them without, sprinkling the salt directly onto the plain dough, as I did for this batch; or, once cooked, I brush them with melted butter and dredge the pretzels in cinnamon sugar, n as I wish I’d done here. :-)  Cinnamon sugar pretzels are definitely a favorite of mine!

We hope these treats make your hearts, and the hearts of the people that you love and cook for, happy!


No comments:

Post a Comment